Sunday, October 10, 2010

Why??

I have been asked, "Why I do things". Why this, why that, so many times. One answer I have is WHY NOT?  Why do I hand out food to those needing food? Who else would?

I didn’t plan on this. In fact I planned to be on the road traveling now, but it is what it is. I have lived a very fortunate life. In fact, I can count 10 times that I should have, or could have, been dead. BUT I”M NOT!

My wife worked at the Food Bank of Northeast Arkansas. After my stroke, She (We) decided she should quit and take care of me. (or watch over me) Since then she was offered a different and better position at the Food Bank.  After we discussed it, we decided to take 6 months for her to do the job, while she documents it and prepares it for someone else to take it over and do a good job at it.  All the while I would go with her. This is a 55 mile one way drive to get there every day. I go and help her with the USDA food distribution. As it turns out I help her give out the food to those who are low income, needing and hurting. I mostly pack, sack and hand out frozen food from the back of a refrigerated van or truck. It is meeting or mingling with the people that I found my niche or calling. It is not me. I also go once or twice a week, or as time works out, to a food pantry in Jonesboro to help carry out food as well. The “why” in this case is because there are people in need and while I cannot work at a normal job anymore, due to 3 strokes, I can still hand out sacks of food.

MISSION: What does this mean? a Passion? Many people work at or has many great causes in life. Cancer or health things, religious things, food, American made products -there are many great things to do.  Mine is food. I do not know how long I will do thi,s or if we will do something else in this area for other locations or not. But right now I can and so I will. It is a mission or a passion of mine. We all should be so fortunate to do something.

HEART: My wife and I have been married for 32 years now. While we are like most couples and have our differences and will argue from time to time, We have a similar heart for helping people in need. That is one thing that will keep us married a long long time. Well, that and our many kids and grandkids :)

CRAIGHEAD COUNTY

Last week the morning we headed in to take food to pass out in Craighead county in Arkansas, The news had VP Joe Bidden on and he said the Economy was getting better. So I figured we would have fewer people show up for food.  Not so, had over 500 families show up! So we must have a worse economy. Would our government and the news media lie to us?? Yep! I think so!

Our Economy, if you look at individual people is not getting better. While living in Owasso, OK, a northern suburb of Tulsa, my neighbor stated one day a couple of years ago that the Wal Mart parking lot was full, so you couldn’t tell him the economy was bad. I said he should go to West Tulsa at the Flea Market where many of the people were there just to sell their own stuff to be able to buy food if he wanted to see the real economy.

One person whom I trust told me that the people in office today would set things in motion to fix the economy, but it will take time. I asked “how many people will go hungry in that time?” Maybe that was mean. Oh well…….

No comments:

Post a Comment